28 Oct When should I post to Facebook?
A very common question I find when talking to budding health/marketing peeps – when exactly is the best time to post to Facebook?
There is no hard and fast winning formula for this, however there is a lot of anecdotal evidence on what times you should be looking at adding your content to Facebook.
I stumbled across this article by Baraa Hamodi, a Software Engineering Intern at Optimizely. I really enjoyed this article because it added some substance to our own views of social media times (basically, he has the total geek skills and time to look at some high level data.)
If you don’t want to read the article in full, here is the down low for you.
When should I post to Facebook?
- Monday to Thursdays are best. Mondays always seem to be even better than all the other days. Why is this? My theory is, it’s the one day people are more likely to be at home after a social weekend. It’s time to chill on the couch, watch a little television with your laptop/smart phone as there isn’t much else to do. Highly scientific right?
- Late afternoon/early evening has a good return. Again, it’s the time of the evening when people have the most time to catch up on social media.
- Early mornings can be a success. Another peak time for social media viewing, why, think of all those commuters on the train! Or, think of all those people perhaps eating breakfast whilst checking a couple of emails and social media.
- Fridays and Saturdays suck. Yup, people are too busy enjoying themselves to take any real notice of what’s happening on social media. I.e. they are too busy posting images of their night out than reading what you have to say.
- Sunday is a mixed bag. On one hand you have people busy sorting their lives out after a busy weekend (food shopping, preparing for the week, sorting the kids clothes out for school etc) yet, on the other hand – it’s a time to actually sit and wind down after the weekend.
So, what’s the conclusion?
For the best results, post your content on Mondays – Thursdays between 5pm and 8pm.
When you post remember – think when you are most likely to read something on Facebook, us humans are pretty easy to understand.
If we are more likely to be out (sunny day, public holiday etc) then don’t put too much valuable information online.
Save your good stuff for when you know someone out there will be reading it.